It is with great pleasure that the The Sugar Industry Research and Development Institute (SIRDI) receives direct EU Grant to implement an Integrated Pest and Disease Management Project for the bene t of all sugarcane producers. This project is also being co-funded by the industry for an additional amount of €121,000. This project, as the name suggests, will aim to “strengthen the Integrated Pest and Disease Management in the Sugar Industry.”
The expected results of the project includes:
• an effective pest and disease monitoring system for the Sugar Industry of Belize
• the effective mechanism for production and distribution of ecological and biological control
• established research on varietal resistance program
• established research on cultural and physical control
• the development of well-trained staff
A project steering committee of all sugar industry stakeholders and experts have been established to guide and monitor the progress of this project.